Rapid weight loss diets can be unbalanced and unhealthy, and the key to real weight loss is to remember that there are no shortcuts. Weight loss is a struggle, and will continue to be difficult for many dieters, despite new fad diets and quick-fix formulas. Long-term weight loss requires persistence and discipline. By making some small changes in your lifestyle, it is possible to burn more calories and be healthy.
1. Intake of protein rich foods such as egg whites, cottage cheese, fish and yogurt, helps in keeping the body full for longer periods of time, thus aiding in lesser calorie intake and weight loss. Another benefit of proteins is that they help in the building of muscles, which is very essential for the fat burning process.
2. It is better for you to eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. Eating six small and well balanced meals will raise metabolism. The body will not cling to calories if it knows food is regularly coming.
3. The grapefruit diet plan introduces a jump-start weight loss program with the main ingredient grapefruit. Many versions of this diet are circulating the Web, and while there is some science to back the benefits of grapefruit (a study from a 2006 issue of the “Journal of Medicinal Food” revealed that people who ate half a grapefruit before each meal for 12 weeks lost 3.6 pounds), the weight loss in these individuals may have also been a result of smart food choices and exercise.
4. A careful diet is only the first part of the weight loss equation; the other part is physical activity and exercise. You do not have to join a gym or do any formal training; any physical activity is beneficial for your weight loss efforts provided that you do it regularly. For example do not underestimate the benefits of walking in losing weight. Walking is easy to do and can do wonders to your weight loss.
5. If the body does not have much water, the liver has to work extra to help kidneys eliminate wastes. This makes the liver less effective in metabolizing the stored fat in the body, hence causing weight gain. So, drink lots of water to counter this situation. In fact starting your day with a glass of water in which half a lemon has been squeezed and half teaspoon honey added.
6. Reading labels is vital. Companies put a lot of effort into making their food products look appealing. If a package proclaims that it has no fat, check for sugar. Many times manufacturers will load food with sugar to maintain taste. If there is a ton of sugar, remember that the sugar will turn into fat.